This simple recipe for blinis, or small Russian pancakes, is a holiday favorite. Top these one-bite wonders with our stunning assortment of caviars, a dollop of crème fraîche, and a sprig of fresh dill or chives. They’re that easy to prepare.
(Just in case you don’t feel like making blinis from scratch, our caviar assortments come with blinis and crème fraîche, making entertaining even easier).
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted + extra butter for greasing skillet
- 2 ounces hackleback caviar
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- Fresh herbs for garnish – dill or chives
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and the whole-wheat powder. Add in the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, and melted butter.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and stir until combined.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat and add butter to grease skillet. Add a tablespoon of batter into the heated skillet and flip when browned.
- Repeat until remaining batter is gone.
- Before serving, gently spoon caviar and a dollop of crème fraîche over each blini. Garnish with fresh herbs.
SEAFOOD USED IN THIS RECIPEHackleback Caviar