Fire up the grill for these juicy salmon skewers! Kvarøy Arctic salmon is the perfect choice for summer grilling - it's easy to cook, moist and flaky. Serve these skewers with rice, salad or with grilled pita bread.
- 2 pounds Kvarøy Arctic Salmon portions, skin on and cut into 2 inch cubes
- 12 assorted peppers or chiles such as red bell pepper, banana pepper, fresno or yellow chili
- Whole lemons, cut in half
- 1 bunch green and purple onion, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Herbed caper aioli (recipe below)
- 12 wooden skewers
HERBED CAPER AIOLI
This aioli is good on as a dipping sauce for our salmon skewers but can also be used for shrimp, grilled vegetables and much more! Using the egg product instead of a raw egg ensures the safety of eating this fresh aioli. Traditionally, it is made with one raw egg if you prefer to make it traditionally! It will keep up to three days in the refrigerator.
Makes about 1½ cups.
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup refrigerated egg product
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained, and rinsed
- 1 shallot, quartered
- ½ tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspooon freshly ground pepper
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Soak the wooden skewers in water for one hour. Preheat the grill. Dry the skewers slightly and thread the salmon onto the skewers with the skin side to the left. The thick fillet side of the salmon should be facing up.
Next, brush the salmon and the vegetables with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to medium heat, 350°F and place the peppers on the grate. Grill for five minutes turning three times.
Brush the grates with oil then add the salmon skewers meat side down. Grill for 6 minutes rotating twice.
Place the lemon halves, cut side down onto the grates to brown.
Finally, add the green and purple onions to char and brown as the last step.
- Remove the ingredients from the grill as they are done, place everything on a large platter to serve with a bowl of Arugula tossed in lemon juice and olive oil as a side salad to accompany the skewers.. Serve with the aioli on the side.
FOR THE HERBED CAPER AIOLI
In a food processor or blender, combine the vinegar, egg product, capers, shallots, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and process until smooth.
With the machine running, add the olive oil in a slow stream, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl if necessary.
Stir in the herbs and thin with a few drops of vinegar if it is too thick.
*TIP Add the oil drop by drop to the mixture to start, until the aioli begins to thicken like mayonnaise. Then in a thin stream, slowly, so that the aioli won’t break.
SEAFOOD USED IN THIS RECIPE