- Mackerel Fillet, cut in pieces
- Red Onion
- Fennel Bulb
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Artichoke Hearts
- Pitted Olives
- Whole Garlic
- Bay Leaf
- Sherry Vinegar
- Champagne Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- Heat oil in a large pan over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the red onions and sliced fennel bulbs. Slice the fennel bulbs lengthwise to allow them to keep their shape when cooking.
- Salt and pepper the mackerel fillets and dredge with flour.
- Heat oil in a separate large pan over medium heat for the fish.
- Add enough water to cover half of the depth of the vegetables.
- Once the oil has begun to smoke in the pan, place the flour-dredged mackerel fillets skin side down. Cook over medium heat for 4 minutes. Once the fish has a golden brown color, flip and continue to cook for another 4 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add cubed heirloom tomatoes to the vegetables along with whole garlic cloves, and artichoke hearts.
- When most of the water has evaporated, add the sherry vinegar and champagne vinegar.
- Add a sprig of thyme and a few bay leaves. Allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- Add a pinch of saffron and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the vegetables over the fish. Prior to serving, top with roughly chopped olives and flat leaf parsley.
FISH USED IN THIS RECIPEShop for Mackerel