- Large saucepan
- Large skillet
- 2 serving plates
- 20 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup diced tasso ham
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp diced green bell pepper
- 6 Tbsp grits
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Toppings of your choice (eg. sour cream, tabasco)
- In the large saucepan, bring the water and pinch of salt to a boil. When boiling, slowly stir in the grits, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the grits are smooth and tender (about 20 minutes), stirring frequently. When finished, set aside and keep warm.
- In the large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the ham and cook over medium-high heat until crisp. Then, stir in the onion and green pepper. Cook until the onion is translucent (about 4 minutes).
- Add the shrimp to the onions and bell pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until the shrimp turns pink (about 45 seconds). Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- Add the white wine to the skillet, stirring to dissolve any brown bits on the bottom of the skillet. Slowly stir in the cream. Then, reduce the heat to low. Simmer the cream sauce until thickened (about 10 minutes). Then, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, divide the grits into two portions, one per serving plate. Line the edge of each plate with shrimp and top with the cream sauce. Enjoy!
SEAFOOD USED IN THIS RECIPE: