Ditch the delivery and make these easy clam pizzas at home. Sweet, briny clams make the perfect topping along with garlic, herbs and cheese.
Recipe by Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC and courtesy of Seafood Nutrition Partnership.
- 1 packet dry active yeast
- 1 tsp. honey
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 strips bacon, chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. frozen shucked clams, thawed
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- To make the dough, combine 2 cups of warm water with yeast and honey (or sugar), whisk gently and set aside for 15 minutes for the yeast to activate.
- Place flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, turn on and mix the flour and salt.
- With the machine running on low add yeast mixture and olive oil. Turn speed to medium and continue to mix until dough comes together in a ball, about 3 minutes.
- Turn off machine and place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for at least one hour.
- If using bacon, add bacon to a hot skillet over medium high heat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until fat is rendered. Then add garlic, clams and oregano and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out ⅓ of the dough and transfer to a pizza pan or pizza stone.
- Top dough with clam mixture, followed by mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, turning the pan half way through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
SEAFOOD USED IN THIS RECIPE