Shrimp and Grits Recipe
Bring the comforts of the South into your kitchen with this great shrimp and grits recipe. Our shrimp and grits recipe is a delicious brunch recipe the entire family will love.
- 1 cup water
- 6 Tablespoons grits
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup diced tasso ham
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons diced green bell pepper
20 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and pinch of salt to a boil. When boiling, slowly stir in the grits.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until the grits are smooth and tender (about 20 minutes), stirring frequently. When finished, set aside and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the ham and cook over medium-high heat until crisp. Then, stir in the onion and green pepper. Cook until the onion is translucent (about 4 minutes).
- Add the shrimp to the onions and bell pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until the shrimp turns pink (about 45 seconds). Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- Add the white wine to the skillet, stirring to dissolve any brown bits on the bottom of the skillet. Slowly stir in the cream. Then, reduce the heat to low. Simmer the cream sauce until thickened (about 10 minutes). Then, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, divide the grits into two portions. Line the edge of each plate with shrimp and top with the cream sauce.