Shrimp Gumbo Recipe
This New Orleans-inspired shrimp gumbo recipe combines sweet shrimp with savory kielbasa into a family-friendly stew.
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ pound cooked kielbasa, cut crosswise into ¼-inch slices
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 14.5 ounces canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½-1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
1 pound white Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
- white rice
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in vegetable oil until translucent. Add in kielbasa, green pepper, and celery. Cook until the kielbasa browns and the green pepper and celery are tender.
- Mix in the undrained tomatoes, chicken broth, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, and chili powder. Add salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce, to taste.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat, and stir in shrimp. Cook shrimp until they’re opaque and have curled into a C-shape.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving with hot white rice.