Sardines are nutritious, cheap and delicious, and perfect for new year healthy cooking. We love them simply broiled so the oily flesh stays moist and flavorful, with some zingy lemon and fresh herbs. Even better, this easy sardines recipe is on the table in 20 minutes!
- One 28-ounce bag of defrosted wild sardines
- 2 lemons, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- Small handful of fresh herbs such as thyme, oregano or parsley, or a mixture of herbs, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Heat your broiler. Position a rack about 4 inches from the heat.
- In an ovenproof tray or cast iron pan, lay the lemon slices on the bottom, then a sardine over each slice. Sprinkle with herbs, then drizzle each sardine with olive oil. Finish with salt and pepper.
- Place under the broiler for 4-6 minutes. Check if they're ready by poking the sharp end of a knife into the flesh - it should flake easily.
- Remove from the broiler and plate the sardines, drizzling with the cooking juices.
SEAFOOD USED IN THIS RECIPE