Red Mullet with Eggplant Purée and Garlic Oil Recipe
Check out our fabulous and delicious red mullet with eggplant purée and garlic oil recipe.
4 x 4-ounce mullet fillets
- salt & black pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 anchovy fillet
- ¼ Tablespoon chili flakes
- 1 Tablespoon sunflower oil
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ Tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 eggplants
⅛ lemon, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ Tablespoon tahini
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Season the fillets with salt and pepper and cook skin-side down for about 3-4 minutes over high heat on a lightly oiled pan.
- Prick eggplants with a fork and bake them in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until the skins are blackened. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Once cooled, peel the eggplant and place the flesh in a colander to drain. Use a bowl to top the colander to weigh down the eggplant. Allow to drain for 30 minutes.
- Combine the drained eggplant (about 8 ounces) with 2 cloves garlic, lemon juice, cumin and tahini. Purée the mixture, gradually adding ¼ cup olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Finely chop the remaining 2 cloves garlic and put it in a saucepan with the sunflower oil, anchovy, and chili flakes. Cook until the anchovy is melted, remove from heat and allow to cool. Add ½ cup olive oil and fresh chopped parsley to the pan.
- Place a spoonful of the eggplant purée onto a plate then pour the chili and garlic oil with parsley over the purée. Add the cooked fish on top and enjoy!