Shrimp Creole Recipe
Originating deep in the bayous of Louisiana, our Shrimp Creole Recipe is as authentic as it gets. Our fresh Gulf Shrimp are combined with fresh sautéed veggies and plenty of spices to create the homemade creole sauce for this flavorful dish. You may want to make extra; this easy Shrimp Creole recipe is perfect for a crowd!
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 2 large vine tomatoes, cored and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
¾ teaspoon DeDe’s Cajun Cuisine Red Hot Sauce
- 2 dried or fresh bay leaves
2 pounds fresh white Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 cups cooked white rice, to serve
- In a small bowl or ramekin, stir together the salt and spices; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, bell pepper, tomato, and a generous pinch of salt, sweating until softened, 6-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, sugar, hot sauce, and bay leaves; bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, stir in the spice mix. Reduce to a gentle simmer and cook until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, 10-15 minutes.
- When the sauce is ready, add the shrimp, gently stirring to combine. Cover and cook over low heat until the shrimp are just cooked through, stirring a few times, 8-10 minutes.
- When ready, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide the rice and shrimp creole between bowls.