Shrimp and Scallops Paella Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons butter, olive oil, or cooking oil of choice
1½ pounds fresh 10/20 scallops
1½ pounds fresh white shell-on Gulf 16/20 shrimp, deveined
- 2 teaspoons saffron threads
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 pound ground chorizo, casings removed
- 1 cup asparagus, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup white cooking wine
- ½ cup Spanish green olives
- 2 teaspoons salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon parsley, chopped
1 lemon, juiced and zested
2 lemons, thinly sliced for garnish
- Add saffron threads and smoked paprika in the vegetable broth. Set aside to bloom.
- In a large, deep pan, add ground chorizo and cook for 3 minutes or until it begins to brown.
- Add the vegetables and stir to coat the pieces. Cook for 3-6 minutes or until veggies begin to brown.
- Stir in minced garlic. Then, pour in the rice. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the garlic begins to release its aromatics and rice is coated.
- Add in tomato puree, wine, and seasoned broth. Stir in the olives and mix until combined.
- Bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and layer shrimp on top of the rice mixture. Return the lid and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. By this time, the shells should turn red, the meat becomes opaque, and the tails curl.
- Remove lid, give a stir, then cover again.
- In the meantime, in a separate pan add butter (or oil) and bring to medium heat.
- Add scallops, spacing them 1-2 inches. When the bottoms start to lift and become golden brown—about 3 minutes. Flip the scallops and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes. When fully cooked, transfer to a plate to set aside.
- Turn off heat. Remove lid from rice and give it another stir. Add the zest and juice from one lemon, add in chopped chives and parsley, season with salt and pepper, and stir to mix.
- Finally, layer the scallops and lemon slices. Garnish with extra herbs, share, and savor!