Whitefish is a medium-firm flaky fish with a mild flavor and is considered to be one of the best freshwater fish to eat. With no “fishy” flavor, whitefish is perfect for picky eaters or those who aren’t sure if they like fish. It is great for people just starting to cook fish due to its high-fat content which means it’s not as easy to overcook. The solid texture of the whitefish makes it ideal for soups and chowders, and can also be grilled, broiled, baked, deep-fried, or pan-fried.
- Whitefish are found in icy deep water lakes of the northern US and Canada and found in the Great Lakes.
- Although related to salmon, the flesh of raw whitefish is almost pure white.
- A popular and traditional choice for gefilte fish and smoked pates.
- Whitefish are not overfished and not subject to overfishing.
- Whitefish’s high-fat content makes them perfect for smoking.
Source: New York Seafood Council
See My Order section of our FAQ page.