Monkfish Stew with Saffron Broth Recipe
An easy preparation for a light Monkfish Stew enhanced with a saffron & white wine broth.
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 pounds monkfish portions, trimmed and sliced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 shallots sliced thinly
- 4 carrots, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- pinch of saffron threads
- 1 cup dry white wine
- fresh basil leaves
- mashed potatoes for serving
- Season the monkfish with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large cast-iron casserole cooker. Add the fish to the casserole over moderate heat, turn the fish, until light golden (3 minutes). Transfer the monkfish to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Cook the shallots in the casserole for approximately 2 minutes or until softened. Stir occasionally.
- Add the carrots and cook for 5 more minutes, while stirring. Add the thyme, saffron and wine. Cook for 1 minute until reduced by half.
- Add 1 cup of water along with the monkfish. Bring just to a simmer, cover and cook over low heat until the vegetables are tender and the fish is cooked through (15 minutes).
- Spoon the stew into shallow bowls. Garnish with basil and serve with mashed potatoes!