Popcorn Shrimp Recipe
Once you try our easy popcorn shrimp recipe, you’ll be dreaming up ways to enjoy this golden, crispy treat anytime. Served as an appetizer? Done. Added to hot dog buns and served with our Sriracha mayo? Yes please! Don’t have rice flour? Simply substitute with all purpose flour. Pro tip: make sure the oil is nice and hot to ensure perfectly crispy shrimp.
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons sriracha
½ lemon, juiced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced or grated
- 4 cups canola oil, for deep-frying
1½ pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1¼ cups seltzer water, cold
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 white bread rolls, split open
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 Tablespoons water, mayonnaise, sriracha, lemon juice, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper. Cover and chill.
- Heat the oil in a high-sided pot or wok until it reaches 375°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Sift the rice flour, cornstarch, and ½ teaspoon salt into a large mixing bowl. Whisk in 1 cup seltzer water and the soy sauce and sesame oil; you are aiming for the consistency of heavy cream, adding more seltzer as needed.
- Drop the prawns into the batter. Remove with a slotted spoon or spider and, working in batches if necessary, deep-fry in the hot oil until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes per batch. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to briefly drain, loosely covering with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Fill the bread rolls with the sriracha mayo sauce and shrimp. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve straight away for best results.