Roasted Sardines Recipe
Luscious, oily sardines love high heat cooking - and roasting is a fantastic hands-off way to impart great flavor for these smaller fish. Drizzle with the lemon herb sauce to be transported to the sunny shores of the Mediterranean. Serve with a crisp white wine to cut the richness of the fish.
6 large whole sardines, gutted and cleaned
- 5 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 12 ounce bottle lager or pilsner
1 lemon, juice and zest, pared and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh oregano
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Season the insides and outsides of the sardines with salt and pepper. Rub with 2 Tablespoons oil and arrange in a roasting dish or tray; pour the beer around the fish.
- Bake until the fish are cooked through and the skin is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the remaining 3 Tablespoons oil with the lemon juice, lemon zest, herbs, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper in a serving bowl.
- To serve, spoon the herb oil over the fish.