Shrimp-Alfredo Pasta Bake Recipe
Combining the luxuriance of seafood and the ease of a casserole, this shrimp-alfredo pasta bake is one of our favorite summer potluck recipes.
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 6-ounce can 2% evaporated milk
- 1 ounce light cream cheese
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- salt & pepper, to taste
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 14.5-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 2 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Whisk in the flour and continue cooking until lightly browned (about 1 minute).
- Slowly whisk in the milk until thickened (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in the cream cheese and chicken broth, stirring until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In the medium bowl, combine the shrimp, one tablespoon of the olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently to combine.
- Spread the shrimp mixture onto the baking sheet. Bake just until the shrimp is pink, firm and cooked through (about 6 minutes). Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to its package instructions. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Coat an 8x8 inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the shrimp mixture, pasta, tomatoes, Mozzarella, red pepper flakes, and alfredo sauce. Place this mixture in the baking dish and top with Parmesan and parsley.
- Bake until golden brown (about 10 minutes).