Soft Shell Crab Sandwiches Recipe
Soft shell crab sandwiches are a convenient and tasty dish perfect for picnics and casual get togethers.
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
2 Tablespoons plus ¼ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning, divided
1 Tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 chile pepper, thinly sliced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups olive oil (for frying)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1¼ cups breadcrumbs
4 soft shell crabs, cleaned
- 4 sandwich buns, warmed
- For the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard, and ¼ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning. Set aside.
- For the slaw: In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar and 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard. Add the cabbage, chile pepper, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine.
- For the crab: Pour oil into a skillet, ½ inch deep. Heat over medium-high heat until hot.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk flour, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning in one shallow bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the beaten eggs in a second shallow bowl.
- In a third shallow bowl, whisk together the breadcrumbs, remaining Old Bay seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Dip the soft shell crabs first in the flour mixture (shaking off the excess), second in the egg, and then in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the crabs in the skillet, shell down. Cook on medium-high heat until golden brown (about four minutes per side).
- Transfer the finished crab to the paper towel-covered plate and season with salt.
- On warmed sandwich buns, put slaw on bottom, followed by the fried soft shell crab, and drizzle with sauce.