Uni Nigiri Sushi Recipe
Making uni nigiri sushi at home is fun and easy with this recipe.
- 2 cups uncooked sushi rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
130 grams fresh West Coast uni roe
- 1-2 Tablespoons spring onions, cut crosswise
- soy sauce
- pickled ginger
- Rinse the uncooked rice in a strainer until the water runs clear.
- Add the rice to a medium saucepan with 3 cups water, and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Meanwhile combine the salt, sugar, rice vinegar, and vegetable oil in a saucepan, and cook over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and cool.
- Pour the rice vinegar mixture over the cooled rice, and blend well.
- Using your fingers, roll a golf-ball sized amount of the seasoned rice in your hand into an oval shape. Continue with the remaining rice.
- Place each rice ball on a serving plate, and divide and drape the uni over each rice ball.
- Garnish with spring onions, and serve with soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger.