This classic fried Greek anchovies recipe will transport you to the sunny Mediterranean, where small fish are battered and quickly fried and enjoyed as a mezze along with other small bites. Serves 2-4 as part of a family-style meal.
- 1 lb fresh anchovies
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil, for frying
- Chopped parsley and lemon wedges, to serve
- Rinse anchovies in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add oil to a large skillet until it comes ½ an inch up the sides and heat to 350°F.
- Dredge anchovies in the flour mix, then add to the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes, until golden brown on each side. Cook the anchovies in batches, being careful to not overcrowd the skillet.
- Remove from the oil and drain on paper towel-lined plate or cooking rack. Sprinkle with salt while hot, then chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
SEAFOOD USED IN THIS RECIPE