- 2 dozen littleneck clams
- 3-4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup half and half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the littleneck clams to a large pot or saucepan, and add one cup of water. Cover and cook over high heat for 7-8 minutes. Uncover and remove the open clams; chop the clams and set aside. Discard any unopened clams. Strain the cooking liquid through a paper towel and reserve.
- Cook diced bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until brown. Transfer to a plate and pat with a paper towel to remove grease.
- Return the Dutch oven to the stove, and melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic, and stir over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, adding in the thyme when the onion and garlic soften.
- Whisk in flour, then add milk, vegetable stock, reserved clam juice, and bay leaf. Stir gently, then add in potatoes and combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in half and half and chopped clams and cook until heated through. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
SEAFOOD USED IN THIS RECIPE: