Our authentic seafood paella recipe is inspired by the best paella restaurants in Spain, where rice is gently cooked with aromatic herbs, vegetables and spices, including saffron for the signature golden hue, along with the freshest seafood. We've made making paella even easier with our Paella Dinner Box, which comes with everything you need for the ultimate paella including mussels, clams, shrimp and calamari. Follow our easy paella recipe and be whisked away to Spain any night of the week.
- 1 Paella Dinner Box
- 6 cups clam or seafood broth (you can also use vegetable or chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 cups paella rice
- Lemon wedges
- Prepare the seafood. Scrub and debeard the mussels. Scrub the clams. Discard any mussels and clams that are open or don’t close when gently tapped. Slice the calamari into rings.
- Heat the broth in a large pot. Stir in the saffron threads.
- Heat the oil in a 15” paella pan or cast iron pan over medium-high heat and cook the onion, scallions and bell paper until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato and cook for 3-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the hot broth and bring to the boil. Add the rice and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring to evenly cook the rice. Add the parsley, cloves, thyme and paprika. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed. Do not stir from this point onwards. Lower the heat to low and continue to simmer until the rice has absorbed most, but not all of the broth, about 10 minutes. Add more broth or a little water if it is looking too dry.
- Place the shrimp, clams, mussels and calamari over the rice and cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes until the rice is almost done. It should be a little al dente. Remove the pan from the heat, cover with foil and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
SEAFOOD USED IN THIS RECIPE