The whole family will love these all natural salmon dogs topped with chili and cheese. Not only do are they filled with omega-3s, rich in vitamins and minerals, they also have the snap and the flavor of a traditional hot dog. Here, they are topped with our best ever hot dog chili recipe, lots of cheddar cheese, and then baked, broiled or grilled to perfection!
Serves 6 people
Cook Time: 1 hour
For the chili:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2½ pounds lean ground beef
- ¼ cup ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- One 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- One 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup of dark beer or ale
- One 14-ounce can low salt beef broth
For the salmon dogs:
- 6 lobster roll buns
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 Kvarøy Arctic Original and Cheese Salmon Dogs
- ¼ cup white onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Heat a 4-quart soup kettle over medium high heat. Add the olive oil, chopped onion, jalapeno, and garlic, cook for 4 minutes, or until the onion is softened but not changing color. Add the ground beef to the kettle. Cook until lightly browned, turning frequently, breaking up the meat as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Once the meat has browned a little and is cooked through, add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne to the pan, stir to mix well and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute more. Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, beer, and broth to the pot. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook the chili for about 45 minutes.
- Brush the buns with a small amount of oil and place cut side down into a skillet over medium high heat to give them a quick toast. Arrange the toasted buns on a baking dish and place the onions, ketchup and mustard inside. Then sprinkle them with cheese. Place the dogs inside each bun, top with chili and cheese. Cover the baking dish with foil, then bake for 20 minutes at 375°F. Remove the foil and bake for ten minutes more to brown the cheese. Remove from the oven, garnish with chopped cilantro if desired and serve!
- You can also grill the salmon dogs at medium high heat: assemble them on foil and place back on the grill at indirect heat. Cover the grill and cook until the cheese is melted.
SEAFOOD USED IN THIS RECIPE