These juicy salmon burgers are high in omega-3s and are the perfect upgrade to traditional hamburgers. The tomato jam makes a great savory spread for these burgers or your favorite sandwich. It comes together quickly and will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks and in the freezer for up to 6 months. Serve the burgers with a grilled vegetable grain salad to round out the meal.
- 6 Kvarøy Arctic salmon burgers (Original or Original and Cheese)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup white onion, thick sliced
- 6 Kaiser rolls
- Butter leaf lettuce
- Crisp cooked strips of bacon, optional
- Tomato Jam (recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium cloves, minced
- One 28-ounce can chopped Italian plum tomatoes
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the grill or grill pan to medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Melt two tablespoons of the butter in heavy medium-sized skillet over medium/low heat. Add the onion, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Cool.
- Brush the salmon burgers lightly with oil. Place them on the hot grill. Grill the burgers over direct medium heat until charred and warmed through. Brush the buns on the cut side with butter. About 2 minutes before the burgers are done, lay the buns on the hot grill, cut side down, and grill until lightly brown. Remove the burgers and the buns from the grill. Serve with onions, lettuce, and tomato jam.
- To make the tomato jam: heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium/low heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook about 1 minute, just until fragrant, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add the tomatoes and stir to combine. Add the vinegar, honey, nutmeg, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the tomato mixture has thickened, about 1 hour. Cool completely and serve.
SEAFOOD USED IN THIS RECIPE