Shad is a rich and oily dark meat fish with a pronounced flavor that is delicious; rich and fatty, with a silky texture.
Shad look very much like plump, silver-green herring. They do have a lot of bones, so you might want to opt for our boned fillets.
Shad is very healthy to eat! This is a fish rich in fatty Omega 3s and a great source of protein. Shad are also plentiful in B vitamins, vitamin A, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, zinc, etc. The health benefits of eating shad are quite extensive. Eating just two servings of fatty fish, like shad, a week can significantly reduce your risk of dying from heart disease.
- The maximum reported age for American Shad is 13 years.
- The Latin name for the American Shad means “delicious.”
- Shad is typically only harvested from February to May.
- Shad is a member of the herring family.
- This item arrives descaled, gutted and gilled. Average size reflects fish size before these preparations.
See My Order section of our FAQ page.